|14 November 2017 – British Medical Association, London
Introduction by Conference Host, Seigo Izumo, Senior Vice President for Regenerative Medicine, Takeda Pharmaceuticals
Opening Keynote Session: “The Future of Advanced Therapies”
– Vision for Advanced Therapies
– How are ATMP technologies advancing in Europe generally, and the UK specifically?
- Keynote Speaker: Peter Goodfellow, Scientific Advisor, Abingworth
- “Regenerating the Future, Again”
- Lord James O’Shaughnessy, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health (Lords), UK Government
- Ian Campbell, Director for Health and Life Sciences, Innovate UK
- “Innovate UK Supporting Research Development & Manufacturing in Advanced Therapies”
- Christian K. Schneider, Director of National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (NIBSC)
- “Advanced Therapies – regulatory challenges”
||Coffee Break & Networking
Building Effective R&D Partnerships to Accelerate ATMPs
– How have each of your organisations used partnerships to create effective R&D platforms
– What are you doing to accelerate the development ATMPs in partnership with other firms?
– What changes could Europe make to support effective R&D partnerships?
- Seigo Izumo, Senior Vice President for Regenerative Medicine, Takeda Pharmaceuticals
- Eduardo Bravo, Chief Executive Officer, TiGenix; EBE President
- Qasim Rafiq, Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Bioprocessing of Regenerative, Cellular and Gene Therapies, UCL
- Keith Thompson, Chief Executive Officer, Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult
- Richard Barker, Founding Director, Centre for the Advancement of Sustainable Medical Innovation (CASMI) (moderator)
||Lunch & Networking
ATMPs as Cures – The Opportunities and Challenges for Europe
– Emerging regenerative medicines will likely cure serious illness, but often these will be one-time treatments. How do we manage this paradigm shift in the EU to support R&D and better health?
– How are each of you focused on developing treatments, how does this R&D differ from traditional small molecule R&D?
– How can small biotech work with larger companies to foster the development of Regenerative Medicines and de-risk the inevitable disruption created highly effective, but one time treatment cures?
- Michaël Hocquemiller, Scientific Director, Lysogene
- “Pioneering gene therapies for CNS disorders”
- Adrien Lemoine, VP Business Development & Operations, Orchard Therapeutics
- “Overcoming the complex challenges associated with the development of ex vivo gene therapies for rare diseases”
- Karen Hodgkin, Chief Operating Officer, Cell Medica
- “Cell Medica: Novel approaches for the treatment of Solid Tumours”
- James McBlane, CAT Alternate Member, Preclinical Assessor, UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
- “Partnering well together – creating a global ecosystem for advanced therapies”
- Gabriele Proetzel, Director, Regenerative Medicine, Takeda (moderator)
||Coffee Break & Networking
R&D and Commercialisation 2020 – Maximising the Value of European Innovation
– What is the UK doing to foster and support both the ATMP (regenerative medicine) sector, and improve the landscape broadly for European innovation?
– How can the EU create value from ‘home grown’ ATMPs while they continue to seek international partnerships? Is manufacturing a key to keeping more of the value chain in the EU?
– How are each of your organisations addressing the changing EU environment for ATMPs? How specifically are you adapting to meet the needs of the coming 3 – 5 years in technology developments in regenerative medicines?
- Magda Papadaki, Head of Product and Process Innovation, Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI)
- Barbara Freischem, Executive Director, European Biopharmaceutical Enterprises (EBE)
- Deborah Morrison, Senior Scientific Adviser, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)
- Steve Bates, Chief Executive Officer, BioIndustry Association (BIA)
- Michael Stein, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, Oxstem Ltd
- Duane Schulthess, Managing Director, Vital Transformation (moderator)
||Wrap-up followed by a networking cocktail